Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tsunami in Hawaii

I know this isn't baby related but I wanted to post real quick to let you know that yes, Hawaii is under a tsunami warning, and yes, we are fine and should continue to be fine.

Matt and I live on base and our place is in a "safe zone" so we are really not worried about any flooding by us (and even if there is flooding, we can camp out upstairs). We are a couple of miles away from any shore line and any waves will have to get through the airport runway before getting even near the base (not to mention our house, since we are kinda in the middle).

The only thing we may have to endure is power outages and possible water outages. We have plenty of food to eat (and we have camping gear to cook things with), plenty of water stored (half a case of water, plus we filled up water bottles and some containers with water as well).

I will try and update after all this is over, pending if power/internet available. We will have our cell phone on, but we will want to use it sparingly so we can preserve battery life.

I think I just saw on the news that www.khnl.com will be still updating their site, even if power is lost out here so you can probably check any Hawaii news websites to get updates if you don't hear from me.

Update as of 5:30pm HI time: Well, nothing eventful happened. No loss of power or water for us. They even started opening up roads and stuff about an hour after it was supposed to hit.  The water did swell and recede but no damages happened at all. I think they will keep an eye the waves the next few days, but I really think all the worry is over with.

No comments: