Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Parenting Class #4

So last nights parenting class focused on breastfeeding. It was kind of interesting, especially since they gave us dolls to hold and practice positions with. I made to sure grab a doll with a blue blanket ;)

The lady teaching the class basically just talked, asked us what we knew, and answered questions. She showed us different holds (cradle, cross-cradle, and football hold) and how the dads can help by handing us the baby, getting pillows to help us position ourselves, etc. Then we watched a 5-10 minute video of how baby latches during breastfeeding (shown with 3D imagery and with live people).

The hospital I will be delivering at (and where the classes take place) is very much pro-breastfeeding. They've told us that as soon as the baby is out, they place the baby on the mom and if she wants to start breastfeeding right then and there, they usually allow it (pending on how the baby is doing of course). She was telling us how the first 1-2hours after the baby is born is the best time try and get them to breastfeed because they are usually wide awake and looking around. She asked if any of us has ever seen a baby like that (wide awake after being born) and I distinctly remembered when Joey was born and he was in his little nursery bed, looking around while they were giving him extra oxygen. So yes, I raised my hand when she asked that question :)

I will be 38wks tomorrow so now we are playing the waiting game. Everyday I wonder if the little guy is going to be early... but knowing my luck, he will late, just like me haha. I'm kind of hoping for early at this point, which I am sure all pregnant women are at about 38wks.

I have an OB appointment on Friday where he will check my cervix for dilation. I'm crossing my fingers that some sort of progress is happening :) Matt and I already agreed that this weekend would be the perfect weekend for him to come, since it's a long weekend and then this way, Matt wont need to miss any classes next week or miss his test the week after that (poor guy has a test on my due date.. I don't want him stressing during the test about me!). Of course, this all depends on what the little guy wants...who seems very content just chillin' around and moving/stretching a whole bunch hahaha!

I'll post tomorrow with new belly pics!

1 comment:

deb talarico said...

sounds like they are giving you very valuable information