Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, February 26, 2010

The First few nights at home...

So Wednesday we got discharged from the hospital. We came home with our door decorated (thank you Liv, Clarence and Noah!) and a flower delivery (thanks Mom and Mikee!).

Wednesday was very difficult, for all of us. Matt and I were already running on very little sleep (take note that the last time he or I had a normal nights sleep was Saturday night..all other sleep after that was only in short bursts of an hour or two at most). Isaac was practically nursing all day long and I started to wonder if I was producing enough for him because he was always wanting to eat ALL THE TIME (I decided to breastfeed only). His stomach was making lots of noises, of which I thought was growling, meaning he wasn't getting enough. Plus, he hadn't pooped in almost 24hrs by that time, which could also have meant a sign of not getting enough food in him. I tried pumping and only got 0.5oz total. We gave that to him in a bottle and he chugged it, so I thought he must be starving! So we made a bottle of formula just so he could get full for the night. While making the formula, he was crying the whole time and ended up spitting all of the milk I gave him through the bottle. So we gave him the formula and he drank 1oz and was knocked out. We thought he was finally satisfied so we went to bed... A half hour or so later, he starts crying and spitting up everything. His crying was more of a screaming, like he was in pain and he was passing a lot of gas and burps and spit-up. At around 3am I decided to try and nurse him again and when he was done, he fell asleep on my chest... so he and I slept that way for about 3 hours from 3-6am on the couch. Needless to say I was exhausted (Matt was up with me the whole time too, by the way, so don't think he wasn't suffering either).

The next day (Thursday) I talked to a few women online in a parenting website, as well as some friends, and I came to the conclusion that what most likely what happened was that he was being OVER-fed. His stomach was upset due to having too much but for him and in order to feel better, he will want to nurse, not knowing that the nursing is what is causing the issue.

Before this, I was letting him nurse for as long as he wanted... and sometimes that would go for an hour and a half! So now I nurse him 10 minutes on each side and that seems to be just enough for him to pass out. He feeds every 2.5-3hours. The second night we continued this regiment and we were actually able to sleep when he slept. While we were still getting up every 2-3hrs, it was better then getting NO sleep. Matt even changes his diapers whenever he wakes up, as I prepare to feed the baby. So today (Friday) we have stuck with the same regiment and I hope we have another successful night!

Oh, and his poop issue is better.. he's gone 6 times today haha He's making up for that day he missed!

No comments: