Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Potty Training Adventures

I said over and over that once the new hardwood floors were installed that it would be time to try and potty train Isaac. I read up on different methods and the one that I liked best was "Potty train in 3 days". Since there was a 3day weekend coming up (Labor day), I figured this would be the perfect opportunity. There were many variations of this method so I did a mix of them to fit with what I thought was best.

We started on Sunday and in the morning, we changed his diaper after breakfast but never put a new one on, instead we put on underwear (we went out a few days before and he picked out Cars and Mickey Mouse ones). I printed out a chart with 9 squares (3x3) and each time he peed he would get to put a sticker on the chart. After every 3 boxes he would get a chocolate and after a full chart was completed he would get a new toy (I got about 10 new Matchbox cars).

Below is how his success and accidents went on the first day:
Day 1
8:42 - accident
9:45 - success!
9:50 - accident
10:00 - success
10:30 - success
11:40 - accident
12:07 - success (with a bit of pee on the underwear before hand)
Nap - used diaper, had pee when woke up
3:20 - accident
4:20 - accident, though not a lot
4:40 - accident
5:05 - success!
5:20 - peed a little in underwear but finished in potty - success!
5:50- success though very little pee
7:30 - success
8:05 - half accident half success. He was standing by the potty, crossing his leg. I asked if he needed to go potty and he started peeing, so sat him down real quick and he finished in the potty.

All in all, it wasn't a horrible first day. I read that the second day is usually much better because things start to click. Well.. not for us.
Day 2
5 accidents back to back then dribbles in the potty
9:51 - success!
10:05 - accident
10:30 - accident
I lost track of accidents but had a total of 6 successes (I know this from the sticker chart that we used). He started doing better after we stopped using underwear and just let him run around naked.

Day three was just me, him and Rose (Matt had to return to work). After the tiring day of day 2, we weren't really sure if he was really ready to be potty trained but I wanted to give it just one more day:
Day 3
Took diaper off after breakfast and let be naked.
9:30 success - no prompting or asking, just sat and peed
9:40 success - no prompting or asking, just sat and peed
10:15 success - asked if he needed to go, he said no, but then went and sat down anyways and peed right away
10:50- success
11:15 - POOPED in the potty!
11:30 - success
1234- success
Diaper with nap - pooped at 1, changed with new diaper, then woke up around 2:45 and still dry
4:25 - success
4:50 - success
5:15 - success - told me he needed to pee before hand
6:50 - success
8:30 - success

Not one single accident on the third day! I was shocked and very happy with his progress. Almost every time he went, was on his own, or after I asked him to sit and at least try to go.

At daycare, he has to wear a diaper until he has dry diapers for a few weeks (she doesn't want to risk him peeing on the carpet; I don't blame her). Since last Friday he has kept a dry diaper all day long while there. He still doesn't say when he needs to go, but if you put him on the potty every 2ish hrs, his diaper is usually dry and he'll pee in the potty.

Thursday he was home with me and he asked for underwear during his nap, so I obliged (while putting down another pad on his bed). He woke up dry! He is also dry every morning too (but we still use diapers when he sleeps, at least for a little while more). 

We went to PA this past weekend and we used diapers then too, just in case. He kept dry during the whole 5 hr drive there and even throughout the weekend. We used a total of 4 diapers in three days. Pretty amazing if you ask me!

Now, I still don't consider him fully potty trained. He does really well if naked (no underwear, pants or diaper), but if he has something on, and he really needs to go, he will pee a little before telling me he has to pee. However, if we keep taking him every 2hrs or so, he is usually ok. We are also working on pulling up and down his pants.

I am very proud of my BIG boy!

(sorry no pictures this post!)

No comments: